B.A. 1993, Dartmouth; Ph.D. 2000, Harvard
kanchan.chandra [@] gmail.com
NYU Department of Politics, 19 W. 4th Street, New York, NY 10012
Office Room Number:
For a full list of my work, see my
Areas of Research/Interest: Comparative Ethnic Politics, Democratic Theory, Political Parties and Elections, Violence, Comparative Research Methods
- Constructivist Theories of Ethnic Politics (Forthcoming 2012: Oxford University Press). Download introduction here.
- Why Ethnic Parties Succeed (Cambridge University Press: 2004). Download introduction here.
- 2011, “What is an Ethnic Party.” Party Politics, March 2011
- 2009, “Designing Measures of Ethnic Identity: The Problems of Overlap and Incompleteness.” Qualitative Methods Newsletter, Spring 2009
- 2009, “A Constructivist Dataset on Ethnicity and Institutions (CDEI).” in Rawi Abdelal, Yoshiko Herrera, Ian Johnston and Rose McDermott eds, Identity as a Variable (Cambridge University Press)
- 2009, “Why Voters in Patronage-Democracies Split Their Tickets: Strategic Voting for Ethnic Parties in Patronage-Democracies.” Electoral Studies (2009)
- 2008, “Making Causal Claims About Ethnic Politics” in Mark Lichbach and Alan Zuckerman eds, Comparative Politics (Cambridge University Press: 2008)
- 2008, “Ethnic Invention: A New Principle for Institutional Design in Multi-Ethnic Democracies” James Johnson, Jack Knight, Margaret Levi and James Johnson eds, Mobilizing Democracy (Jointly published by the American Political Science Association and the Russell Sage Foundation).
- 2008, “Measuring the Effect of Ethnicity” (with Steven Wilkinson). Comparative Political Studies (April 2008)
- 2007, “Counting Heads” in Herbert Kitschelt and Steven Wilkinson, eds. Patronage and Clientelism (Cambridge University Press)
- 2006, “What is Ethnic Identity and Does it Matter?” Annual Review of Political Science. Vol. 9: 397-424
- 2006, “Mechanisms and Outcomes,” Qualitative Methods Newsletter, American Political Science Association, Spring Issue.
- 2005, “Ethnic Parties and Democratic Stability.” Perspectives on Politics. Vol 3(2): 235-252.
- 2001, “Ethnic Bargains, Group Instability and Social Choice Theory.” Politics and Society. Volume 29 (3): 337-362.
- 2001, “Cumulative Findings in the Study of Ethnic Politics.” APSA-CP. Vol. 12 (1): 7-11.
- 2000, “Elite Incorporation in Multi-Ethnic Societies.” Asian Survey. Vol XL (5): 836-855.
- 2000, “The Transformation of Ethnic Politics in India: The Decline of Congress and the Rise of the Bahujan Samaj Party in Hoshiarpur.” Journal of Asian Studies. Vol 59 (1): 26-61.
- 1999, “The Ethnification of the Party System in Uttar Pradesh and its Consequences,” in Indian Politics and the 1998 Election, Ramashray Roy and Paul Wallace, eds., New Delhi: Sage Publications, pgs 55-104.
- 1997, “Party Strategies in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections 1996.” (with Chandrika Parmar), in Economic and Political Weekly, February 1 1997.
Fellowships/Honors: National Science Foundation (2009-11, 2005-9), United States Institute of Peace (2009-11), Guggenheim Fellow (2009-10), Fellow at the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioural Sciences (2009-10), Carnegie Fellow (2008-10), Russell Sage Fellow (2005-6), Radcliffe Institute Fellowship 2005-6 (Declined), Harvard Academy Fellow (1999, 2001), SSRC-Macarthur Dissertation Fellow in International Peace and Security (1996-98).