Politics and Psychology
B.S. 1996, Caltech; M.A. 1997, Princeton; A.M. 1999, Ph.D. 2003, Harvard.
NYU Department of Politics, 19 W. 4th Street, New York, NY 10012
Office Room Number:
For a full list of my work, see my
Areas of Research/Interest: Political Methodology; Political Economy
· Leadership, Followership, and Beliefs About the World: An Experiment.
British Journal of Political Science, forthcoming
· "We Don't Talk to Terrorists": On the Rhetoric and Practice of Secret Negotiations. (with Julie Browne)
Journal of Conflict Resolution, forthcoming (2010)
· Social Identity, Electoral Institutions, and the Number of Candidates. (with Kenneth Scheve)
British Journal of Political Science, forthcoming (2010)
· Do Participants and Observers Assess Intentions Differently During Bargaining and Conflict? An Experiment.
American Journal of Political Science, forthcoming (2009)
· Enforcement and Compliance in an Uncertain World: An Experimental Investigation. (with Sanford Gordon and Gregory Huber)
Journal of Politics 71(4):1357-1378 (2009)
· Expected Utility Violations Evolve Under Status-Based Selection Mechanisms.
Journal of Theoretical Biology 254(3):650-654 (2008)
· Cognition and Strategy: A Deliberation Experiment. (with Catherine Hafer and Dimitri Landa)
Journal of Politics 70(4):974-989 (2008)
· The Propaganda of the Deed: Terrorism, Counterterrorism, and Mobilization. (with Ethan Bueno de Mesquita)
American Journal of Political Science 51(2):364-381 (2007)
· Rational Choice Epistemology and Belief Formation in Mass Politics.
Journal of Theoretical Politics 18(4):455-498 (2006)
· Social Identity, Political Speech, and Electoral Competition. (with Kenneth Scheve)
Journal of Theoretical Politics 18(1):5-39 (2006)
· Working and Shirking: Equilibrium in Public Goods Games with Overlapping Generations of Players. (with Kenneth Shepsle)
Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization 17:285-318 (2001)
· Dynamical Tide in Solar-Type Binaries. (with Jeremy Goodman)
Astrophysical Journal 507:938 (1998)
· The Discovery of Five Quasars at z>4 Using the Second Palomar Sky Survey (with J.D. Kennefick et al)
Astronomical Journal 110:78 (1995)
Working Papers & Submissions:
· On the (In)Effectiveness of Collective Punishment: An Experimental Investigation.
currently R&R at Journal of Peace Research
· Rules of Debate: Theory and Experiment. (with Catherine Hafer and Dimitri Landa) under review
· Legitimacy and Enforcement: An Experimental Investigation (with Sanford Gordon and Gregory Huber) coming soon
· Struggles Over Symbols: Political Strategies for Expression and Repression. coming soon
· 'Soft Power' and Perceptions of Hard Power: Counterterrorism Under Uncertainty. coming soon